This cabinet card features a fashionable clean-cut gentleman posing for a studio portrait. His nice clothing indicates that he was a well-to-do man. Perhaps he was on vacation at the time of this photograph. He was photographed by James C. Dinham who operated the Gainsboroough Gallery in Torquay, England. Torquay is a seaside resort town located on the English Channel in southwest England. This gentleman may have been staying at one of the local resorts. A photograph of Dinham’s studio can be seen below. The photograph was taken in 1918 and the gallery is decorated for Armistice Day. The image and further information can be found at the Devon Heritage Site on the internet. Dinham established his business in the 1890’s. He had a very distinguished clientele but his gallery bordered a very poor area of the city. The residents lived in “ancient tenements” and were poor and lived in squalor. Dinham visited this neighborhood and took many photographs of colorful characters and street scenes. He gave these photos catchy titles but in truth, Dinham was engaging  in photo journalism. He was one of the pioneers in this field of photography. In researching Mr. Dinham, it was found that he began his studio 1881. The source reports that the gallery closed in about 1910 only to become “Dinham & Sons” which operated from 1910 until about 1939. Research also found that Dinham was cited in “Photography” (1898) for photographing the Duke of York during one of the Duke’s visits to Torbay (the Borough which includes Torquay).


Published in: on September 8, 2017 at 2:05 pm  Comments (1)  
Tags: , ,


A well dressed man poses for his portrait at the studio of Charles Keeping in Exeter, England. The subjects beard looks remarkably similar to a Brillo pad. Pity his poor wife during their amorous times together. The photographer, Charles Keeping (1842-?) was born at Lymington in Hampshire. He first worked as a photographer in Exeter in about 1870.He set up a studio at New Bridge Street after moving to Exeter from Torquay between 1867 and 1870. The studio moved to the address listed on this cabinet card (1, Exe Bridge) in 1873. Keeping also had a number of branch studios. In the mid to late 1880’s the business was known as the “Exonia Studio”. The available history indicates that this image was produced between 1873 and the late 1880’s. The subjects steel wool type beard is his ticket to enter the Cabinet Card Gallery’s category “Beards (Only the Best). Click on the category to see an amazing collection of unusual and interesting beards.