OKLAHOMA PORTLAND CEMENT CO. : ADA, OKLAHOMA : VINTAGE POSTCARD : AERIAL VIEW

This vintage postcard features the Oklahoma Portland Cement Company. The firm was located in Ada, Oklahoma. The company appears to have a very large facility and close access to the local railroad. The Oklahoma Porland Cement Company was built in 1906 and had the capacity to utilize twelve rail cars a day. This postcard is a lithograph by Stall Studio. The card was published by C.T. Photochrom (Curt Teich, Chicago, Illinois). This postcard is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) 3603

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$13.39

oklahomacement_0001-3

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) 3603

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$22.39

Published in: on July 29, 2021 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , ,

PINUP BLOTTER : THE CONTINENTAL DOOR COMPANY : SLOCUM : 1938 : FOND DU LAC, WISCONSIN

This vintage unused blotter features pinup art by Russell Slocum. The pretty pinup is holding skis and ski poles. This is a calendar blotter from December 1938. The blotter advertises “The Combination Door Company. The firm was located in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. The Combination Door Company is a fifth generation family-owned business. It was founded in 1912 and remains in business today. The publisher of this blotter is Brown & Bigelow (no.38132). The publisher was based in St. Paul, Minnesota. The blotter measures about 4″ x 9” and is in very good condition (see scans).  (SOLD)

PRUDENTIAL INSURANCE ADVERTISING CALENDAR : A GIRL AND HER DOG : (1910)

This vintage advertising postcard was published for “The Prudential Insurance Company”. The firm’s home office was in Newark, New Jersey. The company started in Newark in 1875 and only had one product, burial insurance. It’s founder, John F. Dryden, became a US Senator. This postcard delivers the message that Prudential’s customers and non-customers were were eligible to receive, free-of-charge, 8″ x 10″ calendars for 1910. The illustration on the front of this postcard shows a little girl and her small dog. The child is blowing bubbles from a bowl of soapy water that sits between her and her dog. This postcard has a Canadian stamp and a 1909 postmark from Peterboro, Ontario, Canada. Peterboro is located 78 miles northeast of Toronto, and was once known as “The Electric City”, because it was the first town in Canada to utilize electric streetlights. The postcard was mailed on December 28th, just a few days before the New Year. This vintage postcard is in good condition (see scans). SOLD

Published in: on November 12, 2020 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , ,

ADVERTISEMENT FOR ARNOLD COOKIES: RPPC (1950’s)

Having grown up in Long Island, New York, during the 1950’s and 1960’s, I have a vague memory of “Arnold Cookies”. This vintage real photo postcard is an advertisement for the Arnold’s Bakery company. The photo features a selection of some of Arnold’s cookies, including Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, and Orange varieties. Also seen in the image is an Arnold Cookie Jar as well as the company’s chef hat topped mascot, “Bobby the Baker”. A thread, on the Chowhound website, takes a nostalgic look back at Arnold’s Cookies. There were several observations shared. First, Arnold sold cookies in bags similar to the bags employed today by Pepperidge Farm. Second, the company produced a smaller version of their cookies. This treat was called “Cookie Pops”. Third, Arnold used a jingle that stated “So when mom goes shopping out to say, Arnold cookies please today!”. Finally, Arnold was a major sponsor of a New York City area children’s television show hosted by Sandy Becker. Becker did live commercials for the company and shockingly, fed the cookies to his pet birds during the show. The gentleman seen in this postcard’s image is probably the original owner of Arnold Bakery, Paul Dean Arnold, but I have not yet confirmed that hypothesis. This postcard was postmarked in Maiden, Massachusetts in the year 1955 and is in good condition (see scans). Note the small chip on the middle of the right edge of the postcard. It has no impact on the appearance of the image. SOLD

Published in: on October 26, 2020 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , ,

THE BRADFORD BELTING COMPANY : (1907) CALENDAR : CINCINNATI, OHIO

This vintage real photo advertising postcard served as a New Year’s greeting card. The postcard provided a January, 1907 calendar and provided wishes for a happy and prosperous new year. The postcard advertised the Bradford Belting Company as the manufacturer of “Monarch Leather Belts and Cement”. In addition, the postcard hawks “monarch belt dressing” which came in stick or liquid form. The card has a Cincinnati postmark from the year 1906. The addressee on the card, presumably one of Bradford’s customers, is the firm, Straw Brothers which was located in Easton, Ohio. Preliminary research yielded little information about the Bradford company. The Motor Way (1907) reports that Pope Motors built a business car (open delivery wagon) for Bradford. The photograph on this advertising postcard features a pretty woman writing a letter by lamplight. Using female models to sell products in male dominated industries or areas of interest, is a practice that continues today. The card was published by the Photographic Company of America, located in Chicago, Illinois It is numbered 1552. This vintage postcard is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #3149

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$25.50

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) #3149

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$34.00

THE LUM & ABNER JOT m DOWN STORE IN PINE RIDGE, ARKANSAS

This vintage real photo postcard features the Lum & Abner Jot m Down Store. The business was located in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. Chester “Chet” Lauck (Lum Eddards) (1901-1980) and Norris “Tuffy” Goff (Abner Peabody) (1906-1978) operated the Lum & Abner” comedy radio show. They were the creators, actors, writers, sound effects men, and directors of the program.They received more fan mail than any other radio program of their time. They began as young amateur performers in Mena, Arkansas; the town where they grew up together. The duo entertained at school and civic functions. They were invited to perform at a Hot Springs, Arkansas radio station. They performed their old country storekeepers routine there. They must have shown much talent because they were offered a 13 week contract with NBC and were sponsored by Quaker Oats. The pair’s radio show was founded with an interesting focus. In small towns like Pine Ridge, the general store was the center of activity. The radio show followed fictional residents of the town. Of course, all the characters were played by Lauck and Goff. If you were to travel to Pine Ridge, you would find the Lum “n” Abner Museum and General Store. After entering show business the pair were required to move around and in 1939 they moved to Hollywood to make movies. Between the late 1930’s to the early 1950’s they made seven films. Even during their film careers, Goff and Lauck continued their radio programs. These radio personalities were “big time”. Their sponsors included Quaker Oats, Ford Motors, General Motors, and Alka Seltzer. This postcard has some interesting signage. There is an “Esso” sign and gas pumps. Posted signs advertise Phillip Morris (cigarettes) and Coca Cola. There is also a sign indicating that the store sells fishing bait (minnows). It is interesting to note the contrast of the parked car and the horse drawn wagon. An inscription on the reverse of the postcard indicates that it was purchased in 1955 as a souvenir. This postcard is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #3137

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$17.50

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) #3137

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$26.00

 

 

TWO ADORABLE LITTLE GIRLS AND A BOTTLE OF MINERAL OIL ON STEROIDS (1905)

When I first saw this vintage real photo advertising postcard, I thought it was inappropriate. I could not imagine why two little girls would be used to advertise a bottle of liquor. After some research, I realized that all wasn’t what it seemed to be. In fact, these two adorable girls were actually advertising a brand of mineral oil. The name  of this brand was Hunyadi Janos. Janos was a military and political leader of the Hungarian military during the 15th century. He fought the Ottomans. The label on the bottle says “bitterquelle” which is a mineral or spring water. The owner of the company that produced the product was Andreas Saxlehner of Budapest, Hungary. The mineral water was advertised as a laxative. It was claimed that the mineral water was for fighting “the evil consequences of indiscretion in diet”.  The product was also promoted as being effective at relieving hemorrhoids. This postcard has a 1905 postmark from Yonne, France. This vintage postcard is in very good condition (see scans).   SOLD

 

 

 

 

ROBBINS GENERAL STORE : MIDDLEVILLE : NEW JERSEY : ESSO GAS STATION

robbins12020-06-03_101344

robbins22020-06-03_101507

robbins32020-06-03_101642

robbins42020-06-03_101942This vintage real photo postcard features the Robbins General Store in Middleville, New Jersey. The store also served as the town’s post office and as an Esso gas station. Note the two gas pumps in front of the building. A sign indicates that the price of gas was 25 cents a gallon for regular, and 28 cents per gallon for premium. There is an Esso credit card advertising sign on a pole next to the pumps. Some of the store’s merchandise can be seen on the front porch. The items for sale include lawnmowers, garbage cans, and a wagon. The store is housed in a two story wooden structure. I wonder how the second floor was utilized. A man is posed on the porch. He is likely the proprietor of the store (Mr. Robbins?). Victor M. Robbins became the postmaster of Middleville in 1914. Victor had acquired the store in 1903. The store’s building is thought to have been built before 1837. Victor was the postmaster until 1955. Victor was succeeded by his son, Donald A. Robbins who operated the store and post office until 1987. The father and son duo ran the post office for a cumulative 73 years. The Robbins store later housed the  “Robin’s General Store and Country Kitchen” which existed in Middleville until at least 2016. This postcard was published in the 1950’s by the Artvue Post Card Company. The firm was located on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The company was formed in 1948 and produced black & white postcards in the 1950’s despite the popularity of color postcards during that time. The company’s “claim to fame” was that it published postcards picturing plaques of the players that were enshrined in Baseball’s Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. They produced the cards from about 1951 through 1963.      SOLD

robbins52020-06-03_102158

SILENT SIOUX OIL BURNER CORP : ORANGE CITY, IOWA, : OWNER AND HIS ADVERTISING PANEL TRUCK (VINTAGE PHOTO)

This vintage snapshot features a man and his truck. This photo has captured a commercial truck with a painted advertising sign. The vehicle is a work truck for Silent Sioux Oil Burner Corp.. The business was located in Orange City, Iowa. Presumably, the warmly dressed gentleman, posed with the truck, is the owner of the company. Note the man’s bow tie and the snow on the ground and on the roof and fender of the truck. It was winter in Iowa when this photograph was taken. A trade catalog from this company is part of the Smithsonian Libraries Trade Literature Collection.The catalog was published in the period between 1900 and 1909 though the company existed beyond those dates.      (SOLD)

Published in: on January 29, 2020 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , , ,

JOHN FRANKLIN FORT FOR GOVERNOR OF NEW JERSEY : CAMPAIGN POSTCARD (1907)

This vintage postcard was employed as advertising for New Jersey Governor candidate, John Franklin Fort (1852-1920). Fort was a Republican and won his race to become the 33rd Governor of New Jersey. He served between 1908 and 1911. He defeated Democrat, Frank S. Katzenbach. In 1908, Fort participated in New Jersey’s first radio broadcast. In 1910 he established New Jersey’s first Department of Education. Fort was followed by Woodrow Wilson in the position of Governor. Wilson went on to become the President of the United States. Fort was a lawyer. He obtained his law degree at the Albany Law School. Governor and ex civil war General, George B. McClellan, appointed Fort to serve as a judge in a Newark district court. In 1884, 1896, and 1912 he served as a delegate to the Republican National Convention. In 1900, he was appointed to the New Jersey Supreme Court. In 1915, Wilson, now President, appointed Fort to the Federal Trade Commission. He held the position for about four years but was forced to resign due to failing health. At one point,Wilson appointed Fort to act as US Ambassador to Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Besides featuring a portrait of John Franklin Fort, the postcard also displays a drawing of the state capital building in Trenton. It is interesting to note that John Franklin Fort’s uncle, George Franklin Fort, was the Democratic Governor of New Jersey from 1851 to 1854. This postcard was published by the Whitehead & Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey. Benjamin Whitehead (1858-1940) was born in Newark. He received his technical information from the Cooper Union Institute in New York City. He became a printer and some of his printing samples were exhibited at the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. In 1876, he opened his own firm in Newark. The business was named Whitehead & Clark. Whitehead liked to travel domestically and abroad (he visited 22 nations)  and he took many photographs as well as gathered ideas for novelties for his business to produce. Whitehouse was joined in business by Chester R. Hoag (1860-1935). They incorporated their business in 1892. Whitehead & Hoag manufactured over 5,000 different novelty advertising items. They were considered the largest business in the nation that manufactured advertising novelties. They were particularly well known for their efforts producing advertising buttons. The company opened offices around the U.S. and in some international cities. In 1959, the company was sold and shuttered it’s doors. This would be nice addition to any New Jersey politics collection. The postcard is from about 1907 and in excellent condition (see scans).             

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #2927

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$23.10

Buy this vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the United States) #2927

To purchase the item click on the Pay with Paypal button below

$31.60

john franklin fort nj pc 2