BIG HEADED MAN WITH A LITTLE BEARD IN SULLIVAN, INDIANA

This cabinet card features a man with a big head and a little beard. This gentleman could not commit himself to growing a full beard so he restricted its growth to his chin area. He even lacks sideburns. To view other interesting images of beards, click on the category “Beards (Only the Best).  The photographer of this image is Charles M. Lutz & Co. The studio was located in Sullivan, Indiana. A Sullivan County directory (1896) reveals some biographical information about C. M. Lutz. He was born in 1842 in Huntingburg, Indiana. He began working as a photographer in 1861. He served in the 27th Indiana Volunteer Infantry during the civil war. He mustered in the unit as private and mustered out with the same rank. Lutz served in Company B of the 27th. Lutz married Sarah South in 1884 and came to Sullivan County in 1887. In 1891, he entered a partnership with photographer, W. F. Devol.

AMBIVALENT FOX HUNTER AND HIS PET FOX IN KENDALLVILLE, INDIANA

This cabinet card features a fox hunter, posing in his hunting clothing, and his double barreled shotgun. He is also posing with his pet fox and his bounty from his hunt, a dead fox. He is holding the pet fox by a chain. This is a very ambivalent hunter. On one hand, he hunts and kills foxes, and on the other, he keeps a fox as a pet. The hunter appears to have been a very conflicted young man. The photographer of this cabinet card is Frank D. Sullivan of Kendallville, Indiana. The Bulletin of Photography (1922) announced the purchase of Sullivan’s studio to A. D. Conkle, “formerly of Kenton, Ohio. The journal also reported that Sullivan and his wife had moved to Portland Oregon.

Published in: on March 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

CUTE SIBLINGS IN HUDSON, NEW YORK

This cabinet card features two very cute siblings photographed by the Sullivan Brothers of Hudson, New York. The older sibling, with bows in her hair, seems to be evaluating he situation as she stares at the camera. The younger sibling appears comfortable atop a cushion on the seat of a wicker chair. The photographic studio’s partners were Frederick and Alfred H. Sullivan. One of their photographs of a child was published in the Burr McIntosh Monthly (1907). The Bulletin of Photography (1915) reported that the Sullivan Brothers studio was sold to James C. Van Loon in 1915. To view other photographs by Sullivan Brothers studio, click on the category “Photographer: Sullivan Brothers”.

Published in: on March 2, 2011 at 12:01 am  Comments (2)  
Tags: , ,