PORTRAIT OF THE SANTA CRUZ MUNICIPAL WHARF

This vintage photograph features the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf. There are a number of interesting automobile diagonally parked in front of the building. In case you are wondering, yes, cars were driven on the wharf. The signs on the front of the building reveal much about the activities happening at the wharf. The sign on the far left announces that bait is available at the end of the wharf. The building has a window where people could order hamburgers, hot dogs, cold drinks, candy, and “smokes” from Cartwrights food stand. There are also posted speed limits; 15 mph for cars and 10 mph for trucks. The Santa Cruz Wharf opened in 1914. The reason for its construction was to provide a place to ship potatoes to San Francisco for the residents of mining camps in the Sierra Nevada. When roads were developed that provided efficient land routes for shipping products, the wharf’s focus turned to the north Monterey Bay fishing industry. When the fish and sardine population decreased, the wharf became a popular recreation destination. It remains so, today. The wharf is 2745 feet; the longest wooden wharf on the west coast. This image is from the circa 1930’s. This photograph measures about 5″ x 3 1/8″. SOLD

Published in: on November 21, 2020 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,