TWO COUPLES ENJOYING A BUGGY RIDE IN HOT SPRINGS, ARKANSAS (VINTAGE REAL PHOTO POSTCARD)

buggy

It appears that the two couples riding in this buggy are having a lot of fun judging by the preponderance of smiles in the photograph. Of course this buggy may in fact be standing still. The driver of the carriage is likely holding the reigns of non existent horses because there is a more than reasonable chance that the buggy is a prop located inside a photographers studio.  The photographer in question is N. E. McLeod who bills himself as a “Rustic & Wild West Photographer”. His location is advertised on the reverse of this vintage real photo postcard is Happy Hollow, Hot Springs, Arkansas. Take note of the women’s hats in this image. The woman in the back of the carriage has a wide brimmed hat and the woman in the front seat is wearing a plumed hat. Also note the lamp attached to the side of the buggy. The internet’s Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture informs us that Happy Hollow was another name for McLeod’s Amusement Park. This site was one of Hot Spring’s most popular tourist attractions from the late 1800 until the 1940’s. It’s location was at the head of Fountain Street, just off of Central Avenue and north of Hot Springs Mountain. Happy Hollow was owned and operated by photographer Norman McLeod from the time of its founding (1888) through 1908. McLeod was born on a farm in Georgia . At the age of 19 he moved to Live Oak, Florida where he learned the photography business. He then attended college in Athens, Georgia. He started Happy Hollow as a photography studio and gradually developed it into an amusement park complex which included a zoo. In 1908 he sold the property. The park became known for taking humorous photos of it’s guests. Props included an old bathtub, a burro, and painted scenery which included a jailhouse and a gigantic angry bear. McLeod and Happy Hollow were nationally known. This postcard has an AZO stamp box indicating it was produced sometime between 1904 and 1918.   SOLD
                                                                                                                                                                                    Norman McLeod

buggy 1

THE LITTLE MAN FROM LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS

LITTLE ROCK MAN_0003The gentleman in this cabinet card photograph has an unusual appearance. He appears to be small in stature and is nicely dressed and groomed. He is wearing a pin in the knot of his tie. The photographer is C. C. Cook whose studio was located in Little Rock, Arkansas. Mr. Cook can be found in the Little Rock business directory (1886) where he is listed as a photographer.

Published in: on April 14, 2013 at 12:01 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: ,

SALVATION ARMY BAND IN EUREKA SPRINGS, ARKANSAS

Eureka! This cabinet card is an addition to the rapidly expanding Salvation Army category of the Cabinet Card Gallery. This image is of a three member musical group and three of their musical instruments. The instruments include a portable organ, a guitar and what appears to be, a banjo or another type of string instrument. The band members are in their Salvation Army Uniforms. One gentleman is wearing a badge on the front of his jacket and the second gentleman has a “S” pin on the collar of his jacket. The woman in the band appears to be wearing a badge over the top button of her blouse. The photographer is Spencer McCollister of Eureka Springs, Arkansas.