THE LUM & ABNER JOT m DOWN STORE IN PINE RIDGE, ARKANSAS

This vintage real photo postcard features the Lum & Abner Jot m Down Store. The business was located in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. Chester “Chet” Lauck (Lum Eddards) (1901-1980) and Norris “Tuffy” Goff (Abner Peabody) (1906-1978) operated the Lum & Abner” comedy radio show. They were the creators, actors, writers, sound effects men, and directors of the program.They received more fan mail than any other radio program of their time. They began as young amateur performers in Mena, Arkansas; the town where they grew up together. The duo entertained at school and civic functions. They were invited to perform at a Hot Springs, Arkansas radio station. They performed their old country storekeepers routine there. They must have shown much talent because they were offered a 13 week contract with NBC and were sponsored by Quaker Oats. The pair’s radio show was founded with an interesting focus. In small towns like Pine Ridge, the general store was the center of activity. The radio show followed fictional residents of the town. Of course, all the characters were played by Lauck and Goff. If you were to travel to Pine Ridge, you would find the Lum “n” Abner Museum and General Store. After entering show business the pair were required to move around and in 1939 they moved to Hollywood to make movies. Between the late 1930’s to the early 1950’s they made seven films. Even during their film careers, Goff and Lauck continued their radio programs. These radio personalities were “big time”. Their sponsors included Quaker Oats, Ford Motors, General Motors, and Alka Seltzer. This postcard has some interesting signage. There is an “Esso” sign and gas pumps. Posted signs advertise Phillip Morris (cigarettes) and Coca Cola. There is also a sign indicating that the store sells fishing bait (minnows). It is interesting to note the contrast of the parked car and the horse drawn wagon. An inscription on the reverse of the postcard indicates that it was purchased in 1955 as a souvenir. This postcard is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #3137

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$17.50

Buy this Vintage Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) #3137

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$26.00

 

 

PRETTY YOUNG WOMAN RELAXING IN HOT SPRINGS, ARKANSAS (PHOTO BY ERNEST ECKLER )

hot springs 3

hot springs 4 This vintage real photo postcard features a lovely young woman smiling for the camera at the Eckler photo studio in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Eckler’s name is embossed on the  right side of the bottom border of the postcard. The city of Hot Springs is located in the Ouachita Mountains and has several natural hot springs in the area. Beginning in the 1830’s, Hot Springs became a resort offering many spas. Hot Springs was the place to go for relaxation, fun, and good health. It is likely that the woman in this photograph is a visitor to the spa town. If so, she would come to the photographer for a photograph to serve as souvenir of her trip. The woman is wearing a dress that suggests that, in my opinion,  informality and relaxation. Her hat is quite unusual and interesting. It looks like a slab of bacon. It seems appropriate to wear such a hat in the Razorback state. Ernest Eckler was one of Hot Springs’s most renowned photographers. He operated a studio there for 49 years (1897-1946). He was from Missouri but moved to Hot Springs in the late 1890’s. He moved to Hot Springs because he was a tuberculosis patient seeking medical benefits from the springs. Eckler was a college graduate but while in Hot Springs he discovered the field of photography and learned enough to take a job with the Missouri Pacific Railroad as a photographer. He took mostly scenic shots to be used for advertising purposes. In 1897, he purchased a studio in Hot Springs. As a studio photographer he focussed on photographing individuals and families. He was a prolific wedding photographer. This postcard has an AZO stamp box that dates between 1924 and 1949. This postcard is in good condition. Note the small closed tear near the middle of the right border. The Arkansas State Archives has a collection of Eckler’s photographs. 

Buy this original Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #2703

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$16.00

Buy this original Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) #2703

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$24.00

hot springs 2

TWO YOUNG MEN ON A HORSE DRAWN WORK WAGON IN HOT SPRINGS ARKANSAS (PHOTO BY N. E. McLEOD)

This vintage real photo postcard features two young man sitting on the front bench of a horse drawn work wagon. The two horses are at rest and one of the young men is loosely holding the reigns. A caption on the postcard states “Working in Arkasaw (53156)”. The misspelling of the word “Arkansas” is likely an attempt at humor, poking fun of the accent of the residents of the state. It is interesting to note that “Arkansaw Territory” was the initial name of the “Arkansas Territory”. However, Arkansas became a state in 1836, long before this postcard was printed. The number printed on the card is probably there to assist in the photographers record keeping. This photograph is probably staged. An explanation for this hypothesis will become clearer as you read this entry. Printing on the reverse of the postcard indicates that the photographer of this image was N. E. McLeod. The internet’s Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture informs us that Happy Hollow was another name for McLeod’s Amusement Park. This site was one of Hot Spring’s most popular tourist attractions from the late 1800 until the 1940’s. It’s location was at the head of Fountain Street, just off of Central Avenue and north of Hot Springs Mountain. Happy Hollow was owned and operated by photographer Norman McLeod from the time of its founding (1888) through 1908. McLeod was born on a farm in Georgia . At the age of 19 he moved to Live Oak, Florida where he learned the photography business. He then attended college in Athens, Georgia. He started Happy Hollow as a photography studio and gradually developed it into an amusement park complex which included a zoo. In 1908 he sold the property. The park became known for taking humorous photos of it’s guests. Props included an old bathtub, a burro, and painted scenery which included a jailhouse and a gigantic angry bear. McLeod and Happy Hollow were nationally known. This postcard has an AZO stamp box indicating it was produced sometime between 1904 and 1918. To see more photographs by McLeod, click on category “Photographer: McLeod” or put the name “McLeod” in this blog’s search box.  SOLD

                                                                                                                                 Norman McLeod

Published in: on March 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

TWO COUPLES ENJOYING A BUGGY RIDE IN HOT SPRINGS, ARKANSAS (VINTAGE REAL PHOTO POSTCARD)

buggy

It appears that the two couples riding in this buggy are having a lot of fun judging by the preponderance of smiles in the photograph. Of course this buggy may in fact be standing still. The driver of the carriage is likely holding the reigns of non existent horses because there is a more than reasonable chance that the buggy is a prop located inside a photographers studio.  The photographer in question is N. E. McLeod who bills himself as a “Rustic & Wild West Photographer”. His location is advertised on the reverse of this vintage real photo postcard is Happy Hollow, Hot Springs, Arkansas. Take note of the women’s hats in this image. The woman in the back of the carriage has a wide brimmed hat and the woman in the front seat is wearing a plumed hat. Also note the lamp attached to the side of the buggy. The internet’s Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture informs us that Happy Hollow was another name for McLeod’s Amusement Park. This site was one of Hot Spring’s most popular tourist attractions from the late 1800 until the 1940’s. It’s location was at the head of Fountain Street, just off of Central Avenue and north of Hot Springs Mountain. Happy Hollow was owned and operated by photographer Norman McLeod from the time of its founding (1888) through 1908. McLeod was born on a farm in Georgia . At the age of 19 he moved to Live Oak, Florida where he learned the photography business. He then attended college in Athens, Georgia. He started Happy Hollow as a photography studio and gradually developed it into an amusement park complex which included a zoo. In 1908 he sold the property. The park became known for taking humorous photos of it’s guests. Props included an old bathtub, a burro, and painted scenery which included a jailhouse and a gigantic angry bear. McLeod and Happy Hollow were nationally known. This postcard has an AZO stamp box indicating it was produced sometime between 1904 and 1918.   SOLD
                                                                                                                                                                                    Norman McLeod

buggy 1