Photographer P. Veling & Bro produced this portrait of a boy and his tricycle. Note the clarity of the trike in this image. The child is dressed adorably and is wearing a wonderful hat. This studio photograph was taken in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. The photographer, Peter Veling was born in Germany in 1855. He immigrated to the United States as a baby. He married his wife, Theresa, in 1881. He is listed as a photographer in the 1880, 1900, and 1910 US censuses. However, the 1920 census indicates that Veling had became the postmaster of Beaver Dam.

Published in: on July 18, 2012 at 12:01 am  Comments (2)  
Tags: , , , ,


This cabinet card is a portrait of three sisters with a strong family resemblance. The woman are attractive and nicely dressed. Note that the woman on the right is wearing a necktie, and the sister in the center has ribbons on her collar.  The photographer is W. F. Kellogg of River Falls, Wisconsin. The Kellogg studio was established in 1877 by Douglas Wright Kellogg (1840-1913). The studio was built on the southeast corner of Main and Walnut Street. In 1878, Douglas Kellogg sold the studio to to his older brother, Wilbur Fiske Kellogg (1836-1920). Wilbur Kellogg is the photographer who produced the above portrait. Another brother, John D. Kellogg operated a gallery in Red Wing, Minnesota from 1868 until 1899. Douglas Kellogg eventually moved to Reedsburg, Wisconsin and opened a gallery there. All three brothers were born in Danby, New York, and learned photography in Beaver  Dam, Wisconsin. Wilbur was a farmer prior to entering the photography business. In 1900, he was thought to be the oldest photographer in Wisconsin. When he sold the studio, Wilbur and his wife moved to Spokane, Washington. In 1899, he partnered with John R. Boals (1872-1959) to establish a photographic studio which was eventually sold to Stella Thayer (1875-1934).