PORTRAIT OF AN ADORABLE CHILD IN KLADNO, CZECHOSLOVAKIA

This carte de visite portrait features an adorable child sitting on a wooden bench next to a toy dog. The child is wearing a cute sailor style outfit. The photograph was taken by the Jiri Lomicek studio in Kladno, Czechoslovakia. Kladno is a city in the Central Bohemian region of the current Czech Republic. It is located 16 miles northwest of Prague. This cdv is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this original Real Photo Postcard (includes shipping within the US) #2525

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$25.00

Buy this original Real Photo Postcard (includes International shipping outside the US) #2525

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$33.00

Advertisements

DARLING LITTLE GIRL AND HER PULL TOY IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA

This carte de visite gives center stage to a most adorable little girl. She is standing next to her pull toy, a very detailed jockey and horse. Note the horses realistic looking mane. The toy is on wheels. This photograph was taken at a photo studio belonging to C. G. Springer. Since Mr Springer owned  multiple studios, it is uncertain as to which particular location was the producer of this image. All three of Springer’s studios were in Czechoslavokia (Reichenberg, Teplitz, and Trautenau). This cdv photograph is in very good condition (see scans).

Buy this original Carte de Visite (includes shipping within the US) #2508

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$40.00

Buy this original Carte de Visite (includes International shipping outside the US) #2508

To purchase this item, click on the Pay with PayPal button below

$48.00

WOMAN POSES FOR HOARDER PHOTOGRAPHER IN KLATOVY, CZECHOSLOVAKIA

This cabinet card photograph is unusual in that it offers us a view of a room inside of a turn-of-the-century photographer’s studio. The young woman is awkwardly posed and a bit far from the camera but the focus of this image is more about the room rather than it’s occupant. The room is quite cluttered with interesting objects. Note the large statue and statuettes. Hanging from the wall, are a number of fans. Also on the wall are paintings and at least five close-up photographs of attractive women. Hanging next to the large mirror, are two identical interesting lamps. Covering the floor is an animal skin rug as well as a Persian rug. Be sure to take a close look at the furniture. The furniture is nice looking but very bulky. The photographer of this photograph is Karel Hahn who was active in Klatovy, Czechoslovakia, from 1893 until 1943. An inscription on the reverse of the cabinet card indicates that the photograph was taken in 1907.   SOLD

Published in: on February 3, 2018 at 12:00 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , ,

CHECK OUT THESE CZECHS: THREE ADORABLE CHILDREN POSE FOR THEIR PORTRAIT IN ROUDNICI, CZECHOSLOVAKIA

CZECH KIDS_0004Three adorable young siblings pose for their portrait at the studio of Antonin Schilder in Roudnici, Czechoslovakia. The kids are wearing adorable expressions and are beautifully dressed.  The child seated on the right in the image looks ready to pop out of his seat.

store

Published in: on December 22, 2013 at 5:38 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , ,

ATTRACTIVE AND EXPRESSIVE CZECH WEDDING COUPLE IN KARBITZ, CZECHOSLOVAKIA (1920)

COOLCZECHWEDDING_0005If  “cool” was a slang word used in the early 1900’s, than this is one very “cool” couple. Both subjects are very expressive as they pose for their wedding portrait at Wilhelm Richter’s studio in Karbitz, Czechoslovakia. The bride is holding a large bouquet of flowers and the the groom is wearing a flower on his lapel. A written notation on the reverse of the photograph indicates that the image was produced in 1920.

Published in: on September 9, 2013 at 9:31 am  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , , ,

PRETTY WOMAN IN FRANZENSBAD, CZECHOSLOVAKIA

This cabinet card is a portrait of a pretty woman in Franzensbad, Czechoslovakia. The woman is well dressed and her dress includes a high lace collar, lace sleeves and features a ribbon around her waist. Printed on the reverse of the cabinet card is the name “Bernard Wachtl”.  Wachtl was an Austrian lithographer whose printing firm was located in Vienna. He was active mainly in the latter half of the 19th century. He designed and printed the logos of photographic studios that were printed on the verso of cabinet cards. To view other work by Wachtl, click on the category of Lithographer: Bernard Wachtl) The photographer of this image is F. Hahnisch.

A GIRL WITH A WONDERFUL SMILE IN HOF, GERMANY

A pretty girl poses for her portrait at the Wilhelm Muller studio in Hof, Germany. Hof is a city in Bavaria, Germany. The city is located near the border with Czechoslovakia. This photograph may be a confirmation or communion picture. She appears to be a teenager and is very nicely dressed. She is wearing two necklaces, earrings, and a bracelet with a charm. She is also wearing a bow in her hair. She is holding something in her left hand, and what it is, isn’t exactly clear. The object appears to be a book or a purse. Perhaps a cabinet card gallery visitor can identify what it is that she is holding. One thing that is certain is that the girl in this photograph has a wonderful smile.

Published in: on May 15, 2012 at 12:01 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , ,

ATTRACTIVE FAMILY IN PRAGUE, CZECHOSLOVAKIA (PORTRAIT BY LANGHANS)

This cabinet card features an attractive family posing for their portrait at the studio of J. F. Langhans in Prague, Czechlosvakia. Mother, father, and their two sons are all beautifully dressed. Father appears to be small of stature and looks quite austere with his hands folded across his chest and his stern facial expression. The children in this photograph seem significantly more relaxed than their parents. Take note of the style of father’s eye glasses Jan Langhans (1851-1926) is the best known figure in Czech photography and his gallery is still in existence. There is a wealth of information about Langhans online at the  “Langhans Archive”. The site provides biographical and historical information as well as the “Gallery of Personalities”. The gallery has photographs of many prominent Czech citizens as well as well known visitors to Czechoslovakia.. These portraits date from 1890 through 1948. The studio was founded by Jan Langhans, who was a food chemist by training but developed a passion for photography. He opened his first studio in 1876 and was the preeminent portrait photographer of the region. He opened a number of branch studios throughout Czechoslovakia. He photographed many celebrities and aristocrats. After World War I the gallery possessed over a million negatives. He gave the studio to his daughter Marie and her husband Viktor Meisner.  After World War II, his grandson Viktor Meisner took over the studio. In 1948, soon after the Communist take-over, the studio was nationalized and most of the negatives were destroyed. Fortunately, more negatives were discovered and they comprise the Gallery’s current collection. To view other photographs by Langhans, click on the category “Photographer: Langhans”.

Published in: on April 22, 2012 at 12:01 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , ,

CLASS PHOTO IN FRONT OF RURAL SCHOOLHOUSE IN PRAGUE, NEBRASKA

This cabinet card offers a glimpse back into historical times of the American education system. This image dates back before “teaching for the test” was standard policy for many school districts. Sixteen children are posed in front of their schoolhouse. Their young teacher stands behind his class. The children seem to have dressed nicely for “picture day”,  but at least a couple of the boys are barefoot. F. H.Svoboda was the photographer of this image and his studio was located in Prague, Nebraska. At one time, Svoboda published the first, and only,  Czech juvenile magazine in Nebraska. He was a school teacher and later engaged in photography. In 1909, he began to publish the Schuyler Messenger, which existed until 1920. The Messenger was a weekly newspaper in Schuyler, Nebraska. The town of Prague has an interesting history. Its early inhabitants included many Czech settlers who arrived in America seeking prosperity during the 1880’s. In 1887, the town was built to support a newly established railroad station. The town was built by the Lincoln Land Company and became a thriving community catering to the agricultural economy of the area. The largest business in the town was a lumberyard. The town’s name, Prague, is named after the capital city of Czechoslovakia.