A cute little girl with a wonderful smile sits atop a rocking horse at Lauder Brothers studio in Dublin, Ireland. She is holding the reins of the very detailed rocking horse and her young mother poses behind the girl, in position to keep her daughter securely on the horse. The Lauder gallery had two locations,  32 Westmoreland Street and 45 Lower Sackville Street. Lauder Brothers studio began operation as a daguerreotype studio on Capel Street in Dublin in 1853. The owner of the studio was Edmund Stanley Lauder, who died in 1895. Lauder Brothers was in business on Lower Sackville Street between the 1850’s and 1904. It was operated by a number of members of the Lauder family. Business directories list the studio as Lauder Brothers between about 1880 and 1884.. Edmund Lauder’s son, James Stack Lauder (1853-1923),  founded the Lafayette Studio in 1880. He became the first Irish photographer to be granted the Royal Warrant. He earned this honor after photographing Queen Victoria in her Golden Jubilee year (1887). James Stack Lauder had three brothers who also became photographers. The brothers names were George Marsh Lauder (1858-1922), Edmund Stanley Lauder Jr. (1859-1895), and William Harding Lauder (1866-1918).  (SOLD)

Published in: on March 1, 2012 at 12:01 am  Comments (1)  
Tags: , , , ,